The Carmel de la Paix was founded in 1610 in Chalon sur Saône only six years after the arrival in France of the first Spanish Carmelites, daughters of Saint Teresa of Avila.
The Community continued its regular life in Chalon, except for about fifteen years during the Revolution, when they went into hiding, as did all religious communities during that time.
In 1970, in accordance with the Aggiornamento of Vatican II, the Community Chapter voted to transfer the Carmel to the Clunisois region, to a hill above the village of Mazille, to welcome a larger number of those wanting to share the liturgical life, silence and farm work, since a small farm was started, integrating Community activities into those of their rural environment.
Sensitivity to ecumenical and inter-religious issues, as well as to environmental issues developed in this context, and remain one of the particularities of the Carmel de la Paix, which continues to faithfully follow the tradition of prayer, silence and fraternal life.
The name “Carmel de la Paix” comes from a small 15th century statue of Mary, Our Lady of Peace, brought by the first novice who entered the Community in January 1610. To this day the statue is still revered as Peace Mediator by the Chalonnais. .